On the occasion of the 140th anniversary of the Alliance Française movement, the association P.I.A.F. solutions
with the support of the Jean-Marc Probst Foundation for the Little Prince
“CALL FOR PROJECTS 14 LITTLE PRINCES“
for the defense and illustration of the world’s linguistic diversity
A worldwide call for projects for editions of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s The Little Prince in local languages
The Little Prince is the most translated work of fiction in the world (532 languages to date). This call for projects aims to promote multilingualism and preserve the world’s linguistic diversity.
- Call for projects reserved for the Alliances Françaises network as project leaders
- 14 editorial projects funded over 3 years (2023 / 2024 / 2025)
- Method of support: translation, layout and printing costs are covered on the basis of 1000 copies.
- To check availability and consult the list of editions of The Little Prince already published click here
- Coordination contact : email@example.com
80 years ago, on 6 April 1943, The Little Prince, written and illustrated by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, was published in New York.
This work, presented as a philosophical tale for children, was to enjoy exceptional worldwide success and become one of the most famous modern literary stories in the world.
80 years after its first publication, Saint-Exupéry’s The Little Prince has now been translated and published in almost 540 languages, making it the most translated work of fiction in the world.
This unique publishing phenomenon makes The Little Prince a prime defender and promoter of the world’s cultural and linguistic diversity, as well as of books and reading.
To celebrate this anniversary, the P.I.A.F. Solutions association (Pôle d’Ingénierie et d’Appui à la Francophonie) and the Jean-Marc Probst Foundation for the Little Prince are launching a worldwide call for projects on 6 April 2023 for 15 translations and new editions of The Little Prince in foreign languages, at a rate of one translation/edition per continent per year over the next 3 years.
This call for projects coincides with another celebration, that of the 140th anniversary of the Alliance Française, the world’s largest cultural NGO. This unique movement of associations was founded in Paris in 1883. It groups together 830 associations in 135 countries that teach the French language and work to promote cultural and artistic diversity, as well as defending and promoting plurinliguism. In the past, numerous translations and editions of The Little Prince have been produced thanks to the initiative of Alliances Françaises around the world. To mark the movement’s 140th anniversary, this new call for projects aims to reaffirm the humanist and universal values that unite Saint-Exupéry’s work and the Alliances Françaises network.
From boulevard Raspail in Paris, the Fondation des Alliances Françaises will relay the call for projects to the 850 associations in the worldwide network.
The Fondation Jean-Marc Probst pour le Petit Prince, based in Lausanne, will cover the translation and publishing costs of each project, thanks to the patronage of the Swiss entrepreneur and collector of the Little Prince.
The Pôle d’Ingénierie et d’Appui à la Francophonie will be responsible for the overall coordination of these 15 new translations and editions of Antoine de Saint Exupéry’s Little Prince, working with local partners in each of the selected countries.
The project in brief
- 15 previously unpublished translations and editions of The Little Prince by Saint Exupéry
- 1 project supported per continent per year in 2023, 2024 and 2025.
- 1 worldwide call for projects launched on 06 April 2023
- To celebrate the 80th anniversary of the first publication of the book and the 140th anniversary of the Alliance Française movement.
- Priority will be given to linguistic and cultural projects coordinated locally by an association of the worldwide network.
- All costs covered (translation, layout, printing) based on a print run of 1000 copies.
- Consult the list of translations and editions already available: inventory of Little Prince editions
- Access the application form for the call for projects: The Little Prince at the bedside of the world’s languages